Saturday, October 18, 2008

Clinging to Guns and Religion (But Not Bitter)

It's not just those rednecks out in W. Pennsylvania who cling to their guns and religion. Many of us out here on the "Left Coast" like to PRAISE THE LORD AND PASS THE AMMUNITION. In fact, my idea of diversity is owning several different firearms and handling each one with precision and accuracy. I would like to explain my reasons why guns and religion are so important to me.

In June of 1980, I stood in a room with 15-20 other young long-haired, out-of-shape, self-centered teenagers and repeated the following words;

"I, Steve Fryer, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God." (see Psalm 144:1)


On that day, I agreed to be willing to die in defence of this great nation, her freedoms and the people who enjoy them. (Of course, the Marines taught me that it's better to stay alive for your country and let the enemy die for his) I don't see an "expiration date" anywhere in my oath. Therefore, I continue to exercise my Second Amendment responsibility to keep and bear arms "against all enemies, foreign and domestic".

RELIGION

In April of 1971, I stood with an even more diverse group; young, old, middle-class and poor. It was in a local church that had a heart and a vision for leading lost souls to Christ. I realized, that day, that I was separated from God because of my sins. But God loved me so much that He sent Jesus, His only son, to die for me and pay the penalty for my sins. Jesus died to save us from the enemy and set us free.

In the beauty of the lilies Christ was born across the sea,
With a glory in His bosom that transfigures you and me:
As He died to make men holy, let us die to make men free,
While God is marching on.
Lyrics by Julia Ward Howe in November 1861

I cling to my guns because I took an oath to defend this country for the rest of my natural life.

I cling to Jesus Christ because he died to give me ETERNAL LIFE.

Any questions?



2 comments:

KathyB. said...

Well said Wingmaster. I appreciate the emphasis on FOREIGN and DOMESTIC. Seems like our domestic terrorists are doing a great job of taking over the country without violence though, I believe it is called 'political correctness' and they use the battlefield of public opinion and extreme public intolerance disguised as political correctness to bully the rest of us ..seems to work, so very soon we might very well lose the right to legally bear arms, and do a lot of the things our previous generations took for granted because we are Americans.

CaroltheRose said...

made me tear up Dad. thats really good