Tuesday, December 2, 2008

All "Buckle" & no "Horse" (for a while)

Scroll up...

See that beautiful gold & chrome visor over "Chesty's" headlight? Well, it's not so beautiful anymore. And "Chesty's" front fender? It looks even worse. I didn't take any pictures. I'm not sure I would post them even if I had. I prefer to remember him in all his gleaming glory; not all bent and pathetic looking.

Without going into a whole lot of embarassing details, I offer the "following" advice (on following); Keep 4 seconds worth of distance between you and ANYTHING. And remember the Long, Long Trailer ("Trailer Brakes FIRST")? Well, on a motorcycle, it's FRONT BRAKE FIRST, FRONT BRAKE MOST. (The rear brake started the skid)

Chesty will be in the Harley hospital for the next couple months. For those of you unfamiliar with Marine Corps history, I named the bike after Lewis Burwell "Chesty" Puller (June 26, 1898 – October 11, 1971), the most decorated Marine in the history of the Marine Corps.

For an inspiring project, look him up on the web and read about his exploits in Korea at the Chosin Reservoir in the winter of 1950 (The Frozen Chosin).

In the mean time, I'll be "caging" it for the duration and looking in on my "wounded warrior" from time-to-time. I'm sure a broken nose wouldn't keep the real Chesty down for long; I hope my version proves to be as resilient as his namesake.

2 comments:

Lanny said...

You didn't tell us, or did I miss a conversation between you and Dirt? I was late getting to my blog duties yesterday so all I had time to do was fire off a post and not read anybody on my Reader list yesterday. (I pay for that the next day with about fifty to read!)
Well I am glad you are all right and were not hurt. Sorry to hear about your bike and I am glad you told why you named it that cause I was thinking.....

WingMaster said...

It didn't come up in conversation and I didn't think anyone would appreciate the conversation being dominated by "biker-talk". And besides that, it's a sore subject with Mrs. WingMaster; she didn't want me to ride that mission in the first place. (Should have listened to my wife- again.)